Although online patient forum is a great way to connect with other patients to share medical experiences and seek support, there can be some disadvantages as well. Here is a list of some of the basic advantages:
1. One of the biggest advantages of online forum is the accessibility. It can be accessed 24/7 as long as one has internet connection and a smart phone or laptop.
2. It gives an opportunity for all to speak and voice their individual opinion. For people who are reserved and usually don’t get the opportunity or confidence to speak up can freely share their views.
3. Online communication is documented and is ever lasting. People can revisit the website and seek information or reference whenever required.
4. When expressing themselves through an online forum people can plan and decide what they want to say and how they want to express it. Commenting on an issue or sharing experiences is not instant and individuals can take their time to think about everything.
5. Online forum gives patients to share real life experiences that can be relevant to others who are undergoing similar medical experiences.
6. Patients can quickly interact by posting a quick question or answer or describe a situation, medical condition or experience in details.
7. Over a span of time it can become a community or support group from where hundreds of patients can seek support and confidence.